How to submit your website to google search console
- Sign in to your gmail account. Click on this link:https://search.google.com/search-console
- Then do a google search for “Google Search Console” using this url https://search.google.com/search-console. Click on blue tab and Login or click “Start Now”.
- On the upper left- hand side, click on the hamburger menu. Then click on ‘Add a property’ in left column drop-down. The click on search property, then “add property”. A new box will appear in the center of the page. The left side of the box says Domain, the right side says Url prefix.
- Select URL Prefix on right as property type.
- Enter your website URL in the box and click ‘Continue’.
Please make sure you enter your complete URL. For example, if your site is https://yourdomain.com/ it needs to have the https:// in the beginning and a slash at the end. You will add the http version of your site and the www. version as well. Then click on “continue”.
- On the next screen that opens up you will see options for adding your property. Click on the arrow next to ‘HTML tag’ to expand this option.
While there are several different ways to verify your website in Google Search Console, this is the easiest. We will copy the html tag and it to our Yoast SEO plugin.
- Copy the meta tag.
Using your mouse, highlight the entire meta tag code. Right click the highlighted tag and click on ‘Copy’.
- Log in to your WordPress website using your website admin url (example.com/wp-admin), then fill in your username and password.
When you’re logged in to your Admin Panel, you will see your ‘Dashboard’ on the upper left-hand side. Click on it.
- Scroll down and click on ‘Plugins’. (On the left-hand side menu).
- Search for ‘Yoast SEO’
Click on ‘Add New’ near the top of the screen. Type in “Yoast SEO” in the search bar.
- The plugin Yoast SEO will appear in a box. In the box, click the Install now tab.
- Activate the plugin Once the installation has finished, click the ‘Activate’ button. It has appeared where the ‘Install Now’ button was previously located.
- Click on ‘SEO’.
On the left-hand side of your admin panel, scroll down the menu until you come to ‘SEO’. Click on it.
- More options will open up. Click on ‘General’.
The ‘SEO’ settings will expand providing you with additional options. .
- Click on the Webmaster Tools tab.
This page has all the fields needed to add your verification code from Google.
- Paste the code you copied from your Google Search console in the HTML meta tag field and click “Save Changes”.
- Go back to Google Search Console and click ‘Verify’.
Congratulations! You’ve connected your website to Google Search Console! Now that you’ve verified your website with Google, you are ready to submit your sitemap.
How to check your verification tag in Google Search Console
- Go to the top-left and select your domain
- Select Settings in the menu bar
- Click on Ownership Verification
- Click on HTML Tag and see if verification tag matches.
Once you’ve completed these steps, (you are verified owner), your website has been added to Google Search Console.
How to submit your sitemap to Google Search Console
Submitting your website’s sitemap to google is another important step towards improving your visibility in searches (SEO).
- In the left-side column of your Google Search Console, select your website.
- Click on ‘Sitemaps’. (The ‘Sitemaps’ menu is under the ‘Index’ section. If you do not see ‘Sitemaps’, click on ‘Index’ to expand the section.)
- Enter ‘sitemap_index.xml’ in the ‘Add a new sitemap’ field to complete the sitemap URL.
- Click Submit. Your latest sitemap is submitted to Google!